Monday, September 13, 2010

High Tide

If you were driving around town on Labor Day weekend you probably saw firefighters’ raising funds for the fight against muscular dystrophy through their boot campaign. I love the boot campaign and happily gave. As I dropped my bills into the boot, and received a very warm smile and thank you, I had a flashback of the aftermath of 9/11. There seemed to be a period of months after the tragedy, maybe through the end of the year, when all Americans seemed to go out of their way to help one and other. You noticed it at the most mundane times--while driving, passing through doorways, and other times when we tend to ignore others. We suddenly became a more empathetic nation.

We, as a nation, and on a smaller scale as a Park community, are constantly looking for opportunities to help. Our reasons are myriad, but there is no denying we are a better country or community for it, and moreover it creates a near palpable sensation of good feeling.

Let me say, I don’t intend for these posts to always focus on giving. (By the way the Boys’ Varsity Soccer Team, on which I serve as Lucky’s assistant coach, has home games this week on Tuesday and Thursday at 4:00, and we’d love your support.) But back to the good feelings. At Park, we do a lot of helping. The Parents’ Association has raised funds for a number of causes, including multi-year support for the Susan Komen Race for the Cure and for Haitian relief. Then, of course, there is the fundraising for Park, or more specifically for the students and faculty at Park. All of these efforts bring out what I believe is our natural desire to support important needs. The result is that there is a lot of good feeling around here.

What can I say? I think giving is a good thing. Someone an awful lot smarter than me said, “A rising tide raises all ships,” and ‘Bama football fans far more devoted than me have spent countless hours chanting, “Roll Tide Roll.” I agree with both sentiments.

No comments:

Post a Comment